Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week there is a new Top Ten list and everyone is welcome to join. All you do is link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! It’s a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.
This week’s topic:
Top Ten Trends You Would Like to See More or Less of
1. Human girl – Supernatural guy – No more vampires or werewolves falling in love with innocent human girls, please. I’m dying for this trend to go.
2. Covers like these – I don’t judge a book by it’s cover. But I don’t really see the purpose of having different cover designs, if all are going to be so similar, and so similarly tacky. I haven’t read these books to know/like them, but I am tired of even looking at such covers!
3. Self-publishing – As much as I like to try new authors; and some of these self-published books can be really good, I do think that self-publishing (“at a very affordable price”) has reduced the competition and made it very easy to write books! You don’t just wake up one day and decide to publish a book. Self-publishing does produce piles of books that could use more work, which isn’t to say that traditional publishers produce genius.
4. Journal/Diary format – Don’t you get tired of people (mostly troubled teenagers) pouring their hearts out left, right and center? Something really needs to be done about that.
5. Dialogue – I always consider too much dialogue as a draw-back in a book. If you cannot convert a page long conversation into a paragraph, you can’t write all that well!
6. Series that go on forever – There are so many book series, where you just know the writer is planning the story along the way. And by the time you reach the end of the series, it’s hard to believe how it started off. Twilight, for instance. A series should either be like Harry Potter, connected from the start to the end. Or like Discworld, where only the setting is common for all the books and you can pick any book and start reading the series there!
1. Longer books – Most of the books I have read lately aren’t longer than 200-250 pages! Of course, there are long books too, I just think there should be more of them. The book shouldn’t end right after you get really into it!!
2. Translations – I know that translations sometimes lose the magic of the original book. But I would definitely like to read more books from the non-English speaking parts of the world!
3. Book to Television – Following the news about an American Gods (Neil Gaiman) HBO series and the fact that I really don’t think movies do justice to books, I think there should be more television series based on books – and really good books – not just Gossip Girl or the Vampire Diaries!
4. Humour – I would definitely like to see more humour. And by that I mean more of actual sharp makes-you-chuckle-at-every-line wit; and less of situational comedy!